Painter and Decorator, Marnie Lynch, joins the SheBuilds Trade Directory this week.
Marnie is painter and decorator working throughout:
- Gold Coast
- Byron Bay
Whether its wall paper installations, interior and exterior painting or fixing up your tired exterior timber decks and more. You’ll be able to get a quote from Marnie for your painting needs via the She Builds trade directory.
I’m pretty lucky, one of my business partners is from a professional painting contractor background and his father continues to work in the profession. So getting a painter for my projects is easy.
I hope that once the She Builds Trade Directory is up and running the distinguishing features will be the responsiveness of the tradespeople listed and their attention to detail. When it comes to painting in particular they are traits you don’t want to go past!
Tips on finding the best painter and decorator services
Word of Mouth
Word of mouth remains one of the best ways to find a quality painting and decorating contractor. But what if you have just moved into the area and need a referral?
Local Paint Suppliers
Your local specialist or trade based paint outlets can probably also point you in the right direction if you don’t have a broad network in your local area.
Crowd source your referrals and word of mouth recommendations.
Most areas have a Facebook Group for things like Buy, Swap and Sell or Renovators in (Location) which will give you feedback and local connections.
These are often smaller providers with fewer overheads that are able to quote you for your works at the right price.
Make sure its the best painter for your job
You may just need the exterior done, or maybe its a heritage home with finnicky little bits to do, or maybe your better suited to a commercial painter that subcontracts to builders regularly?
Narrow down your painter by asking these questions:
- Can you provide references? Or ask to go and see any sites where they are currently working or have recently done work.
- How long have you been in business? Although I am often willing to give the new young person on the block a shot as well so don’t discount them completely
- Do you have the proper/required licenses? This varies by state, and some states don’t require a license)
- If its a big job and you’ll have a number of painters there make sure to ask if they have the appropriate insurances like public liability and workers compensation.
- Are you a member of any national or local painting contractors’ associations? Its generally a sign of financial stability as not all trades associations are actually that valuable for example my company is not a member of any as we don’t believe they offer much value.
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself? Who will be the actual person doing the painting in your home
- What paint products do you use?
As someone who has sat on both sides of the desk I know that as a client I often struggle to simply get a quote let alone all of these other questions answered.
Similarly I have often never been asked for any of these things by my clients that I have been quoting for.
Do what you can to eliminate risk when selecting a Painter and Decorator – like using the SheBuilds Directory – and you’ll be well on your way to a successful renovation or home maintenance project.